Westmoreland Congregational United Church of Christ charges the Board of Social Justice & Action (SJA) with the responsibility and privilege of managing the SJA Grant Program. Once a year in the fall, funds are distributed that have been raised from special congregational offerings.
Grants are awarded only to non-profit 501(c)3 organizations that address people’s unmet needs and expand their opportunities. In this new 2017 cycle, we expect to award 9-12 high-impact grants ranging from $1,500 to $6,000. Typically, recipients have been awarded grants for programmatic activities that address persistent and urgent issues, such as shelter/housing/food; nutrition/medical care/health education; elementary school tutoring & activities; teen development; job training; and transitions to self-sustaining independence. The criteria for funding:
- Applications must be submitted by the recipient organization.
- Programs or projects must serve the D.C. metropolitan area.
- Programs or projects looked with special favor should extend beyond meeting basic human needs to empower individuals and communities in order to create a more equitable and flourishing society.
- Applications should provide evidence that the organization's programs or projects are effective and make a difference in the lives of individuals.
- Funding requested must be targeted toward a specific program or project to be completed within one year.
- Organizations must be of a size and scope whereby a modest grant could have an impact.
The Board of SJA will examine the overall revenue and expenses of each organization, particularly financial accountability and transparency, including the annual compensation for the executive director and/or president. To be competitive for a new grant, former grantees must have submitted a results-oriented final report by September 30, 2017, including a financial accounting of money spent during the last grant cycle.
Grant applications must be sent to Caryn McTighe Musil, chair of the Board of Social Justice & Action, (email@example.com) by October 6,2017.
Grant Application Procedure
A completed Grant Application Form must accompany each request for funding. All fields should be filled in. You can download the application below. Please read the Grant Guidelines and eligibility criteria (above) before applying.
Grant applications must be received by October 5, 2016. Grant requests are reviewed in October and awarded in November. All applicants will be notified about funding decisions by the Social Justice and Action Board.