Westmoreland Congregational United Church of Christ charges the Board of Social Justice & Action (SJA) with the responsibility and privilege of managing the SJA Grant Program, which distributes funds once a year in the fall that have been raised from special congregational offerings.
Funds are channeled through non-profit 501(c)3 organizations to address people’s unmet needs and expand their opportunities. In this new 2016 cycle we expect to award high-impact grants ranging from $1,500 to $6,000. Typically, recipients have been awarded grants for programmatic activities that address persistent and urgent issues, such as shelter/housing/food; nutrition/medical care/health education; elementary school tutoring & activities; teen development; job training; and sexual assault and sex education. The criteria for funding:
- Applications must be submitted by the recipient organization or by the current Westmoreland Volunteer Corp representative;
- Programs or projects must serve D.C. or the surrounding metropolitan area;
- Programs or projects must be consistent with Westmoreland’s commitment to social justice and empowerment, alleviation of immediate human suffering, and SJA's ongoing activities;
- Programs or projects looked with special favor should extend beyond meeting basic human needs to empower individuals and communities in order to create a more equitable and flourishing society;
- Applications should provide evidence that the organization's programs or projects are effective and make a difference in the lives of individuals and can be completed within one year;
- Organizations must be of a size and scope whereby a modest grant from Westmoreland could have an impact through a project or program ;
The Board of SJA will examine the overall revenue and expenses of each organization, particularly financial accountability and transparency, including the annual compensation for the executive director and/or president.
Grant applications must be sent to the Social Justice & Action chair (email@example.com) by COB October 5th.
Grant Application Procedure
A completed Grant Application Form must accompany each request for funding. All fields should be filled in. You can download the application below. Please read the Grant Guidelines and eligibility criteria (above) before applying.
Grant applications must be received by October 5, 2016. Grant requests are reviewed in October and awarded in November. All applicants will be notified about funding decisions by the Social Justice and Action Board.